Monday, February 4, 2013

Windows 8 Enterprise Activation

Just installed Windows 8 on my PC, due to an hard disk issue I have decided to move on to Windows 8 to experience how good / bad it is.  My first impression is quite bad, at least I have found it quite difficult to do my very first thing after every Windows installation - using IE to download Chrome.

Secondly the Windows activation failed.  It didn't prompt me for key during installation, and it can't be activated after finish installation.  I've got an error message saying "Windows can't activate right now.  Error Code: 0x8007007B"

This is the way I have done:

1.  Download Pokki to get your "Start" button back.  It is free and works well.
https://www.pokki.com/windows-8-start-menu

2.  With the "Start" button back, I can access my command prompt now, run the command prompt with admin right.

3.  Run the command "slmgr /upk" to uninstall the original product key.

4.  Run the command "slmgr /ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX" to install your key.

5.  Try to activate again and it will work!

No comments: